Kern County has taken a leadership role in the fight against illegal dumping. To that end, the County works with local nonprofit organizations, businesses and residents to:
- Organize Community Illegal Dumping Clean-up Events;
- Educate residents about illegal dumping consequences;
- Implement a county-wide Keep Kern Roads Clean program;
- Empower local residents to clean up illegal dumping in their communities;
- Communicate information on existing programs, ordinances and fee structures.
Clean-up events are coordinated with volunteers from community organizations such as churches, schools, civic groups, businesses, and others that want to make Kern County the best that it can be. Volunteers are provided trash bags, gloves, bottled water and masks to use during clean-up activities. Illegal dumping areas have been cleared by volunteer groups of ten to several hundred. It’s the spirit of the group and the conviction of the individual that makes the difference! To organize a community clean-up through Keep Kern Clean, contact the Public Works Department at 661-862-8900 or email us at email@example.com. For a list of cleanup events, Click Here.
An off-shoot of the Keep Kern Clean program, Keep Kern Roads Clean specifically targets roadside litter. Residents and businesses can adopt a two-mile portion of County roads for regular clean-up. For more information, or to adopt-a-road, go to:www.co.kern.ca.us/kkrc to sign up. Keep Kern Roads Clean is a great way to start making a visible difference today!
LARGE ITEM COLLECTION EVENTS (BULKY WASTE)
Another tool in the battle against illegal dumping is Large Items Collection Events. Throughout the County, communities work with the Department and local waste haulers to host convenient community collection events for residents to bring large household items for disposal or recycling. Common household items include: sofas, chairs, desks, tables, shelving units, refrigerators, stoves, water heaters, ovens, lawn furniture and children’s toys. Large Item Collection Events are typically held twice a year on a Saturday morning. For more information, check out the Large Item Collection Events page on this website.
- To request to have a shopping cart removed CLICK HERE.
CURBSIDE LARGE ITEM COLLECTION (BULKY WASTE)
In metro Bakersfield, residents may call to schedule a pick-up of unwanted large items – right from their curb! Up to two items can be placed at the curb, for collection, each month. Acceptable items are furniture, appliances, large toys, mattresses, televisions and computers.
- Residents, living within the City of Bakerfield may call (661) 326-3114 to schedule a pick-up.
- Residents living in unincorporated Bakersfield call: (661) 322-6863 to schedule a pick-up.